Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rustic Apple Pie




I don't know about any of you, but I am not liking this cold weather. We live down south and like the warmer weather, but today it was freezing with ice. I wanted to make something that was going to warm my home and that would smell delicious. I wanted to make bread but no yeast, so I thought about cookies and then remembered this recipe I found from Tried-and-True Cooking with Heidi (which she found from the Duggar family recipes). I had a can of apple pie filling and the recipe was easy.


I whipped this thing up after making dinner and it was super simple and perfect.



RUSTIC APPLE/CHERRY PIE
crust

1 1/3 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening (I use butter flavored crisco)
3 TBSP ice cold waterfilling

1 can pie filling

Combine flour, salt and shortening. Cut well with pastry cutter. Add ice-cold water and cut with pastry cutter. I don't have a pastry cutter (I couldn't even find one at Walmart a few months ago) so I used a fork to mash the butter into the flour. DO NOT STIR. On lightly floured surface roll dough into a large circle (like you would for a pie). Place dough onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Place filling in center of dough and pull edges up around the filling leaving it open in the middle (see the picture). Sprinkle dough with a little sugar if desired. Bake at 375 for 45-60 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.

I also mixed up some brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and granola to throw on top for a little bit of a crisp...YUMMY. To top it off and make it even better...Rustic Apple Pie A La Mode. I had no idea just how good apple pie/crisp was with vanilla ice cream. Apparently they are a perfect pair.

5 comments:

  1. yummy this looks great what great simple recipes you have.

    Check out my food blog

    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious and glad to follow u. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that looks yummy! I'm the pie maker in our family. I wonder what their response will be when I make a rustic pie next!
    Rebecca

    -
    rebeccaofsunnyhillfarm.blogspot.com

    --
    I'm an associated content writer! You can view my articles at:
    http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/808088/rebecca_tero.html

    --
    I have an Etsy Shop. Please take a look, and feel free to leave suggestions!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/KTnGirlsBitsnPieces?ref=si_shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    We've recently launched the site RecipesUS.com where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from American food sites and food blogs.

    We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog (url) and we would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs section here: http://www.recipesus.com/top-food-blogs

    If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on RecipesUS.com, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.recipesus.com/add-your-food-blog

    Our concept is already live in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Spain, and we deliver thousands of visitors to food blogs daily. Some of the top food blogs receive 20,000+ visitors from us on a weekly basis.

    Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    Warm regards,
    Senka
    RecipesUS.com, Hittarecept.se, Findeopskrifter.dk, Alleoppskrifter.no, Todareceta.es

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perkenalkan, saya dari tim kumpulbagi. Saya ingin tau, apakah kiranya anda berencana untuk mengoleksi files menggunakan hosting yang baru?
    Jika ya, silahkan kunjungi website kami http://kbagi.com/ atau www.facebook.com/kumpulbagi/ untuk info selengkapnya.

    Di sana anda bisa dengan bebas share dan mendowload foto-foto keluarga dan trip, music, video, filem dll dalam jumlah dan waktu yang tidak terbatas, setelah registrasi terlebih dahulu. Gratis :)

    ReplyDelete