Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Linguine Alfredo


I LOVE alfredo sauce, especially from Olive Garden. The only thing is, have you even tried reheating that sauce the next day...yuk. So I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook and it does the trick for me and reheats nicely.

Linguine Alfredo

1 Tbsp. butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free milk
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
1 cup broccoli florets (sometimes I dont add)
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-in pieces (I DONT ADD)
1 carrot, thinly sliced (I DONT ADD)
4 cups hot cooked linguine

In a medium nonstick sausepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Saute the garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in the flour, then gradually whisk in the milk; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the cream cheese and Asiago/Parmesan; cook, stirring, until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, place the broccoli, bell peppers, and carrot in a steamer basket; set in a saucepan over 1 inch of boiling water. Cover and steam until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the pasta and steamed vegetables. Add the cheese sauce; toss to coat thoroughly. Serve at once.

Side note; sometimes I add more cheese depending on the taste as well as salt and pepper.

I usually make this for lunch cause the portion is not a family size, so if making for dinner for the family, double or triple the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment